Five kitchen design tips from Marla HellerIf you're looking to update your kitchen design, you've come to the right place. In this post, Marla Heller, an award-winning kitchen designer and author, shares her top five tips for designing a kitchen that is both functional and stylish. From finding the right countertop and flooring to choosing the right appliances, Marla shares her expert tips and advice so that you can create the kitchen of your dreams. If you're tired of your kitchen looking tired and outdated, take a look at Marla's blog and learn how to update your kitchen design for the modern age.
1. Decide what you wantThe first step in designing a kitchen is to decide what you want it to look like. Do you want a traditional kitchen with cabinets and a range? A contemporary kitchen with sleek appliances and no cabinets? A farmhouse kitchen with open shelving and a pantry? Once you've decided on a style, think about how you want the kitchen to function. Do you want to cook family-style or do you want to have separate areas for cooking and dining? Do you want a kitchen with a view or one that is tucked away? Once you've decided on all of your preferences, start planning the layout.
2. Use natural materialsWhen it comes to designing a kitchen, consider using natural materials. Wood, stone, and tile are all great choices because they can look stylish and modern, and they can be easy to maintain.
Another great thing about natural materials is that they can often be recycled. So if you're looking to reduce your environmental impact, consider using materials that can be easily recycled.
Finally, natural materials are often more affordable than other types of materials, so you can make your kitchen look luxurious without spending a fortune.
3. Use symmetryWhen it comes to designing a kitchen, using symmetry is key. Symmetry creates a sense of order and balance in a kitchen. This will help to create a cohesive and harmonious space.
When creating a kitchen, think about the elements that are important to you and use these to guide your design. For example, if you're a fan of natural light, use light fixtures and cabinets that are oriented towards the windows. If you're a fan of warm colors, choose light fixtures and cabinets in those colors.
Remember, you can also use symmetry to create visual interest. For example, use mirrored cabinets to create a sense of depth. Or mix different materials and textures to create a visually varied space.
4. Use proportionWhen designing your kitchen, keep in mind the proportions. The space should be proportional and your appliances should be placed in a sensible and functional order.
When you're designing your kitchen, think about the height and width of the room. You'll want your cabinets and countertops to be at least the same height as your cabinets and countertops in other rooms in your house. You don't want to have to constantly hunch over to reach for something.
The height of your cabinets should be proportionate to the width of your kitchen. For example, if your kitchen is 25 feet wide, your cabinets should be at least 18 inches wide, no more, and no less.
Another thing to keep in mind is the height of your appliances. You don't want your ovens or stovetops to be so high that you can't reach them. And you don't want to have to stand on a chair to reach your refrigerator.
5. Use colorOne of the most important things you can do to make your kitchen look great is to use color. Not only will it add a pop of personality to your space, but it can also help to make your kitchen more functional.
Think about what colors will work best with your existing decor and choose ones that will compliment each other. You can also use color to create a sense of warmth or coolness in your kitchen.
Don't be afraid to use bold or bright colors, as they can really make a statement. However, be sure to choose shades that will work well with your light and dark fixtures.
Finally, make sure to take into account the layout of your kitchen when designing your kitchen. Pay attention to where the appliances are located and how the space flows. This will help to make the most of your limited space and give you a functional and chic kitchen that you'll love.
6. Use moodWhen designing your kitchen, it's important to think about the mood you want to create. You can do this by using colors, countertops, appliances, and tiles.
For example, you might want to use a bright color to add some life to a drab kitchen. You could also choose a dark color to create a more relaxing atmosphere.
Another way to use mood is to choose appliances that match the colors in your kitchen. For instance, if you have a white kitchen, you might want to choose an appliance that is white, such as a refrigerator.
You can also use countertops and tiles to create a mood. For instance, you could use a tile that has a geometric design and then choose a countertop that has the same design. This will add a bit of interest to your kitchen.
7. Use lightLight is one of the most important elements when it comes to kitchen design. It can make a big impact on the overall feel of a space and can really brighten up a room.
When it comes to kitchen design, using light can help to create a more open and airy feel. You can use light to bring in natural light into a space or to create an industrial look.
When it comes to light, it's important to experiment a little and find what works best for your kitchen design. You can also use light to create a more intimate feel in a space. For example, you could use a lot of light in a hallway or entryway to create a more welcoming feel.
In addition to using light to create a positive impact on the feel of a kitchen, it's also important to use light to create a comfortable space. For example, using a lot of light in a kitchen can make it hot. Try using a light bulb that has a lower wattage to avoid making the kitchen too hot.
8. Use shapesOne of the most important kitchen design tips from Marla Heller is to use shapes. Using shapes in your kitchen can help to organize and brighten up your space. Some of the most popular shapes include: rectangles, squares, triangles, and circles.
Rectangles can be used to create a central island or square work surface. Triangles can be used to create a butcher block-style cutting board, or to create a barricade to separate different areas of the kitchen. Circles can be used as a vase or to hold fruits and vegetables.
By using simple shapes, you can create a cohesive and beautiful kitchen.
9. Use texturesTextures can really add personality and visual interest to a kitchen. The key is to use them in the right places and to use the right textures.
Here are a few ideas for using textures in your kitchen:
1. Try using different types of stone as countertops.
2. Use natural materials like wood, slate, or tile.
3. Use ceramic tiles or porcelain tile.
4. Use natural minerals like marble, granite, or quartz.
5. Use stainless steel, cast iron, or porcelain tiles.
10. Use patternsOne of the most common mistakes small kitchen designers make is not using patterns. Patterns help to organize the space, make it look more uniform, and can be used to create a cohesive design.
There are a few different types of patterns you can use in your kitchen, and each has its own benefits. Swatches or fabric samples can be a great way to test different patterns and see which ones work best for your kitchen.
We hope you enjoyed our blog post from Marla Heller. She has some great tips for kitchen design, from color to storage. We love her approach to designing kitchens, and we think that you will too! Thank you for reading, and we look forward to seeing your kitchen in all its glory!
See questions on: